One of the trends I've noticed with this year's new series is the continuance of movie and TV reboots. Last year brought us reboots of Minority Report, Limitless, Heroes and The Muppets (side note: all these were canceled after their first season). This year is no different with Lethal Weapon, Frequency, The Exorcist and MacGyver (plus a few more planned for mid-season). Let's hope a few of these last longer than last year's crop (my money is Lethal Weapon - one of my surprise favorites!)
As with the original series, the reboot of MacGyver features a government operative with a special knack for unconventional problem solving- he was the ultimate "life-hacker". Rather than share some recipe pairings - I figured it would be most appropriate to share with you my favorite kitchen hacks - so you can become your own MacGyver of the kitchen!
TOP 7 BAKING HACKS
- Use a plastic ziploc bag as a quick pastry bag. Whether piping frosting or drizzling melted chocolate, fill the bag, zip close and cut the tip of one corner to the desired size opening.
- Got an egg shell in your bowl? Wet your finger with water and the egg shell will cling to your finger!
- Spray your pans with non-stick spray over your opened dishwasher door. Any excess spray will land on the door and not your counter or stove top - and you'll be washing that door anyway, the next time you run a load of dishes.
- Use a cookie or ice cream scoop to portion out equal sized amounts of cookie dough or muffin/cake batter.
- If a recipe calls for oil, make a healthy swap for an equal amount of applesauce.
- To quickly get eggs to room temperature (as often called for in recipes), place them in a bowl of warm water. By the time you've gathered your other ingredients and ready to use the eggs, they'll be at the perfect temperature.
- Make a box cake mix taste like homemade with a few simple substitutions & additions:
- Replace oil with melted butter
- Replace water with milk
- Add 1 extra egg
- Add 2 tsp vanilla extract
- For chocolate cakes, use hot water and add 1 tsp espresso powder to enhance the chocolate flavor
MacGyver airs Fridays at 8p on CBS.